Thursday, June 17, 2010

Photoessay #1074 - Limoges drama






My mother owned and treasured a set of 12 Limoges dishes and platter featuring woodland duck scenes. I featured the platter here. I always had said that I wanted them. However, having reached middle age and owning several sets of dishes....um, I decided I wanted them awyway. Think they are pretty old (have to be at least 100 years old), other limoges duck dishes I've looked for on the net don't look anything like these. Others have brighter colors and coarser design.

But I had never paid close attention to them. Recently a friend came by and I took them out and we studied them. Five different landscapes with woodland game. Tranquil scene by the water of wild ducks. Even some babies.

But these quiet plates tell a tragic story. The ducks living quietly by their pond. But is that a predator on the horizon? Flock in danger?

Now look! Is that a mother trying to protect her young?

And then! And then! Look at this last plate! Murder and sorrow right there in the china cabinet. Oh the tragedy!


Note: I'm reading a book on Abraham Lincoln's writing. Excellent discussion of the drafts of the First Inaugural. I can learn a lot; I'm going to read it again.

No comments: