Monday, June 14, 2010

Photoessay #1071 - Room with a view


Many years ago (15? 20?), I went to Uncle Les' graveside service at Mount Pleasant Cemetery in the Queen Ann area of Seattle. I was quite fond of Les, Dennis' great uncle, and he was quite fond of me. Even though it was quite difficult for me to see him in his final days, I shared many quality moments with him. I knew and he knew what was happening even if nobody else did. He had several girlfriends and, at his funeral, I comfortably sat in the 'girlfriend row'. I've written of him elsewhere.

Tucked away in an older neighborhood, Mount Pleasant contains the graves of semi-famous local people along with separate areas for a shipwreck and a labor riot. A separate Jewish cemetery adjoins. All types served at Mount Pleasant, a muslim section, an old Chinese section, just everybody. A little on the funky side.

But back then, as soon as I walked into the place, I thought "This is it. I can see this as a final resting place for myself". Check out the view for one thing. Pretty nice. (In case you are not familiar, you are looking at the Ship Canal, the Ship Canal Bridge and the University of Washington beyond.) But somehow the place spoke to me. I think I looked into 'the arrangements' at that time but, having 4 small kids, nothing ever came of it.

So now, I have some time to take care of many things. I don't want to waste this bounty. So I went back to Mount Pleasant, after these many years, to see how I felt. Yes, yes, the same. The lady in the office was predictably batty. But she could confirm that Les was there and told me the section. I couldn't find him.

After our movie yesterday afternoon (our last with SIFF for this year) Dennis and I stopped by at Mount Pleasant. Dennis thought he knew where Les was. But we still couldn't find him. But Dennis agrees. You can buy one plot and there's room for 8 cremation urns.

This, with the background of going to Connecticut in 3 weeks for the final interment of my parents in Mishkan Israel Cemetery. I remember when my mother made the arrangements for these spaces, she was so excited and thrilled.

Last night, we had a birthday dinner for Danny at the Noodle House (where else?). Danny challenged Ilana and Susanna "Hey, how come YOU guys aren't going to Connecticut? Huh?" I had insisted that everybody travel to Rockford for the memorials but I left the Connecticut trip to each of them. Danny and Naomi are going along with Dennis.

No comments: