Sunday, June 21, 2009

Photoessay #728 - Father's Day


I started to write about Josh Emery, a father I really didn't know very well. And I will write about him. But today, of course, I must write about my own father.

Allen Sidney Ginsburgh
June 3, 1926 - April 19, 2007

Yes, he died on my birthday, we've already been through all that. I saw him in March, did some important difficult things for him.

I'm featuring his campaign brochure when he ran for School Board. Odd because this picture shows him sans glasses. He always wore his glasses. What year 2003? He already was in poor health, he ran as the Youth Candidate because his challenger was substantially older that him! He did lose the race but I think he got 47% of the vote, or so I remember. Not bad for a first run.

Now, 'thoughtful & open-minded' would not be the first thing that would come to mind in regard to my father late in life, but, in a way he was.

He worked hard in his professional life, he contributed to the community through his life-long interest in education. He founded 'Computers for Schools' which provided computers for many classrooms from machines discarded by businesses. At the time of his death, he was active, along with the retired doctor next door, in 'The Rockford Promise' which attempted to provide college or vocational school tuition to any at risk young person who completed high school. In fact, during some of my last visits, his work on 'the pitch' to raise funds for this project superseded all else.

He also loved higher education. He loved to stop at college campuses and look around, find out about them. If fact, he watched the development of University of California, Santa Cruz and thought it would a great place for me. It was. A Nixon republican all his days, he was all for prudence and pragmatism. He handled his own finances quite conservatively and carefully, if not secretively. We were never wanting.

He remained married to my mom for 56 years. He raised 3 kids, had 5 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild.

No comments: