Friday, June 5, 2009

Photoessay #713 - Harold and Betty in Santa Cruz


Looking through some of Jim (my father in law)'s photo albums. What catches my eye.

I know I have some better pictures of this event. My grandparents (Harold and Betty) flew from their home at Leisure World in Orange County, CA in the winter of 1982 to visit my in-laws Jim and Lanaya. The occasion was the arrival of Danny, the baby boy from Korea. He was only about six months old, a tiny thing.

Jim and Lanaya were living in their house on Farmer Street in Felton, maybe the most interesting of all of their many many houses. They loved to move, to figure out and decorate a new house. Something I have no interest in at all. It was in a hilly area on a creek in the heavily wooded Santa Cruz mountains. Cool and green with the beloved redwoods. At that time, living on a creek was a requirement. However, like many thing in California, there's a hidden hazard, landslides from the wooded slope across the street. Luckily no serious slide occurred when they lived there.

My grandparents were in their early 80s, still looking good. Younger than my mom now. Jim and Lanaya were younger than we are now. They look like they are having a marvelous time. Only time that I remember them ever going to visit somebody. They did not have a lot of friendships. But not a surprise that it involved me. I've written elsewhere that I was always my grandfather's favorite.

No pictures of baby Danny in the photo album, maybe they're in another one.

One fond memory from that trip from my fussbudget grandfather. We were holding Danny and he had a toy in his hand.

"Watch out!" cautioned my grandfather in a worried tone, his voice rising stressfully, wagging his finger at me "Watch out! He'll put it in his mouth! Watch out! Oh! Oh! He's doing it! He put it right in his mouth!"

I'm thinking, of course, he's going to put that in his mouth, what did you expect?

No comments: