Monday, October 27, 2008

Photoessay #494 - Seasons Greetings



My parents produced a number of Seasons Greetings cards in the 1950s. Maybe 1952-1955? My father cut out cardboard letters and would mount them somewhere and set up a picture. You can see the 1954 picture, that's me, I'm about 20 months old in that picture. In a wicker child's rocking chair from my grandmother that my mother might still have in her basement.

The other picture is a year later. Those are two '5's (get it, 55?) that I'm playing with. Baby Charlie is in the background, he's six months old or less. He would like to get his hands on those cardboard numbers. I don't have the final card for 1955 and likely my brother's busy disposition probably ended the carefully composed photos with the non-destroyed cardboard numbers.

There we are, in the Southern California sunshine, I don't know how far in advance you had to submit your photo or negative. to get the printed card. That isn't any Sacramento house so I'm assuming that's in Glendora, a community near Azusa where 'the plant' (Aerojet) was located. The San Gabriel Valley?

Everything looks in order in this shot as I would expect. My father liked the whole housing affair to be run on the engineer's model. Just so. He wasn't really like that but he fancied himself that way. A lot of pride in their home, their yard and their children. Everything looking good.

No comments: