Saturday, October 11, 2008

Photoessay #479 - Red Breasted Nuthatch


Eek, I just realized that the UW softball team is playing today, like right now. It's a beautiful afternoon too and I have time. Why didn't I figure this out sooner? The clues are all around me, you know, being October. Oh well, I finally got Naomi to work on her paragraphs for her college application to Washington State. Plus I have some soup on the stove. So I could bolt for Husky stadium, but I guess I'm not.

She just figured out there are six short prompts to write on. Plus, the SAT scores are, of course, lost when you finally really need them.

And with all of our collective wealth evaporating all around us, a pretty easy deal paying for an instate school becomes threatened. Let's hope that those financial markets stabilize, this has been a difficult time...esp for me. I can laugh off my Washington Mutual fiasco but it's only easy to take if everything else holds together. I guess it is, as long as it doesn't get worse. 20% loss off the investments in the last six weeks.

But how about this little birdie, took his picture just an hour or so ago in my backyard. What kind is he? I don't know, I thought Dennis could tell me for sure. Last night, he spent his evening playing bird sounds off some website. "Oh, I've heard this one!" he would exclaim playing some shrill sound over and over. The birds enjoy all of the things he puts out for them thought they don't hesitate to object loudly if they see him and the feeders or water or suet feeders are empty. "Get with it" they admonish him.

UPDATE: Dennis and I used rightbird.com and we decided this guy is a Redbreasted Nuthatch

No comments: