Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Photoessay #475 - Plane ticket


Just bought a round trip ticket to Chicago for next month. It's the travel that I'm dreading. I hate being on the plane. Scrunched in that cramped cabin traveling some ungodly number of feet above the ground. For 4 hours. Each way. Now I'm saving a few bucks by flying American vs Alaska but I'm thinking they don't have the movie thingies. Of any kind. I'm not a movie watcher at home. But I like them on the plane because they pass the time and I can ignore that frightening drone.

I usually bring a bunch of stuff. But I don't need more than two changes of clothes. We do laundry there every morning as it is. I'm not bringing the laptop, why bother? Can I get away just with a carryon? Of course, I can't lift it but you can always find somebody who's willing to lift it for you. On American, I would save $30. You can see how this puts so much in the cabin. Usually I would check the luggage. And I will, if I have to. It's just not worth it.

Like everybody, I'm extremely twitchy about money. We were sitting pretty well. But these past few weeks have decimated our holdings (along with everybody else). I called our financial person for the 'buck it up and hold'em' lecture. She firmly said to me "Remember, buy low and sell high, not the other way around!" The market will come back. But I can't even look at it any more. As my sister says, you've only lost the money when you sell.

And (knock on wood) I don't need that money for 9 years. Just hold on.

Yippee, I forgot it was Tuesday, Naomi's day to cook. I always forget so it's a treat every single week. So what, if she makes chili every single week. Somehow she wants to put potatos in it.

Maybe it's because my lower back hurts and just looking at those cramped seats make me cringe. Plus when I get there, I have to trudge to the bus and go to Rockford and fight with my mom about whether she's picking me up. I'm standing firm on this, this time. I'm going to take a taxi!

No comments: