Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Photoessay #469 - Holly squirrel


Another squirrel post.

A certain squirrel who frequents our front yard has taken a manic liking to holly berries. A large holly tree grows right by my front door. It may have started out as a weed (guess it still is). I remember it as about 3 feet tall fitting handily under the eave. Now, I estimate it to be about 20 feet tall just growing there like it owns the place.

Do squirrels eat holly berries? Not to my knowledge. But this squirrel is mad for them. He has spent a lot of time dismantling our holly tree, trying to get more and more berries for himself. In the process, he wildly snips off the branches which drop to the walk.

I keep waiting for him to come back to clean them up. You don't think so? Haven't seen him for a few days. Maybe he figured out that holly berries are bad for squirrels.

1 comment:

Neva said...

ARen't holly berries poisonous? He is showing bad manners by not cleaning up!!