Sunday, September 21, 2008

Photoessay #460 - Nut Tree


My father with Dennis and myself. Early married life. Fortunately, I had written the date on the back of this picture, you know, the thing you are always supposed to do but don't? Sometimes, my father would let himself have a bit of fun if he was away from home, not very often though.

July 24, 1977, from the back of the picture. As the years roll along, it's always interesting to think of the ages on the people in the picture...

Allen 51
Sandy 25
Dennis 24

I'm now 56....

Picture was from a funky photo booth at the Nut Tree. I think these photo booths have made a comeback. This one was vintage, not funky, seemed fun at the time. The Nut Tree started as a fruit stand on the road from San Francisco up to the Sierra Mountains. It was always 'half-way' from Sacramento to San Francisco so we always stopped there. It became a restaurant, then a fancy restaurant, then a real destination. Funny, the new interstate came into I-80, right at the Nut Tree, gee, wonder how that happened. But usually we didn't get to have a meal there because, no no, we wouldn't do that. But sometimes in later years, I did get to eat there. They were known for their orange nut bread, my mother would always buy that.

My father had likely traveled to San Francisco on business and we met him half way. At the Nut Tree, of course. It says 'after a big dinner' on the back of the photo so we likely had a nice dinner and he picked up the bill.

We all look a ton younger and wear bigger glasses. And Dennis has hair on his head. I'm closest to the camera so the image size is distorted. The most amazing thing was that my father agreed to do this. But he looks like he is enjoying himself

No comments: