Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Photoessay #449 - Mat. Barbara


A friend from my college days is severely ill. I have not kept up with her though I have followed her life a bit from afar. So I don't know her now at all, I cannot assume, I need to make that clear.

Barbara majored in Russian studies and, as we graduated, she had an opportunity to go to Moscow to be a nanny for a NY Times correspondent. Mid 1970s. There she met a dissident, fell in love, married. He was able to join her back in the US. He became interested in the Orthodox Church, joined the clergy becoming an arch-priest of the church in the Bay Area. They raised 5 children (hey, that's not SO many, I have 4, actually it is), the youngest, the same age as Naomi (18). A few years ago, her husband became ill with lung cancer and passed away. Not even 60 years old. Now she is also very very sick, also with lung cancer. Is tobacco smoke involved here? How can two members of a couple in their 50s both get lung cancer? How can two parents of young adult kids die so close together in these times? These kids losing their father and now, possibly, their mother?? What is up with THAT? I keep looking at the sky and asking that question.

I also have not stayed in touch but it looks like she has a warm family and caring community. And she should, always soft-spoken with a sense of humor. There is a blog that her family is keeping with updates about her condition, inviting greetings. I have written a small piece identifying myself. Don't know if she will remember me, if she can draw any comfort. Stage 4 lung cancer, just not much positive news, even hope for recovery.

Regrets for people we've let drift far away from us???? The picture, grainy and reflecting the texture of the paper, is from long ago, 1973 informal college yearbook.

Matushka Barbara...a respectful term used for the wife of an orthodox clergy.

No comments: