Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Photoessay #156 - Duck parents


From last spring at one of the infamous tailgates organized by the parents of the University of Oregon softball team. I gathered everybody up and just INSISTED that we take a group picture. A nice group of parents involved in a common event (see Photoessay #51) I'm thinking that I should identify the people in the picture because time has a way of erasing all the names in your mind. OK, I admit, some of the people I don't really recognize even now. But there we all stand, posing behind one of our purloined tables full of potluck and omelette items on University Street. We're kind of obstructing the street but not much. A good moment, very positive.

Will the tailgate picnics continue? I think they will this year. The parents of the this year's seniors were very active and we let them all know....we will maintain the email list but they've got to get us the names and addresses. I told them, "you know the drill, get into the face of everybody who might be a parent of a new player and make them give you their name, email address and cell phone number".

But we won't be there. Your player finishes their athletic career, you're gone. Well, maybe we'll go down for one Pac 10 weekend. Especially if there's a tailgate picnic. I'll miss my alternate life in Eugene. I knew most all of the fans, players and staff. I knew it was just an 'interlude' (my father's term) in time and space. I really do like Eugene, always threatening to move there.

Susanna did coach this fall, they would like her to be the student assistant in the spring. She's quite excited about a new job she has working in the after school programs for the park district. But who knows, maybe we will make that 5 hour trip and maybe she'll be in the dugout during the game. Go Ducks!
Sandy B

No comments: