Thursday, October 4, 2007

Photoessay #136 - Land Park house


During our recent trip to California, we visited several 'heritage' sites. Myself standing in front of the home previously owned by Dennis' parents. Dennis and I were married in the living room of this house in 1976, the living room would be the window on the first story on the right. The house was brick red at that time. I remember that Dennis' father had the house painted and planted all new flowers in the front in honor of the wedding. They never lived in any one place for too long, maybe from 1973-1982? I think they sold it when Jim took early retirement (he was 55).

I always liked this house, it's in a fine older neighborhood not far from downtown. I think Jim walked to work some days. Lanaya did a beautiful job with interior decoration. I have a picture from that period. Every room had character and color, furnished with antiques and collectibles. She always had a tremendous sense of style, imagination and vision. But on a rather busy street and I know they lost quite a number of cats from the traffic.

We couldn't take a picture of the both of us as we just stopped by on impulse and there was nobody to take the picture. We truly were here without permission so we didn't stay long.

Notice the brick treatment in the driveway. I noticed this throughout Sacramento. In fact, on the houses from my childhood that we visited, Dennis house from his high school days. Here also. Was it a Sacramento fad? Everybody resurfaced their driveways and embedded used bricks on them?

No comments: