Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Photoessay #121 - B'nai Israel; biggest surprise


We traveled to Sacramento as part of our three day trip as part of a small memoir project. Recently I have been immersed in my parent's slide collection, I was starting to visualize the world through a 1962 lens. I really wanted to see some of this (particularly the two houses) as they looked NOW. Let's get some reality into these images.

We would have most all of an afternoon for this project, what other sites would be interesting? My sister was interested in the Temple, kind of low priority for me. But we cruised into Sacramento about 90 minutes before our appt in Arden Park. The new I-5 portion runs right beside Temple B'nai Israel. Why not stop?

The outside building looked updated with some new additions in the back especially around the chapel. New office. I easily recognized the main entrance though it did feature wrought iron fencing that restricted entry. Same odd old water pumping station across the street. I went in through the side door, the social hall and the foyer and hall looked much the same.

But the sanctuary....that was COMPLETELY different. Previously it was a conventional space with rows of heavy wooden pews with velvet seats. The bima was in the front on a stage with steps on either side with the torahs in the heavily decorated wooden arks. Stained glass windows. I stared at that stage for (what seemed like) many an hour as a youngster when I had to attend services. Now the space completely transformed. No pews. Big ceremonial area taking up a LOT of floor space in the center. Maybe the torahs are behind that scrim in front of the plain window? Sort of a huge white translucent chupa over the top? What do they do up there in that central big space? Sacrifice goats? suggests Ilana. Nondescript chairs grouped around this large central bima. Big piano on one side. Seems like there would be a smaller seating capacity though does provide more flexibility. Pretty in a pink and gold way.

Still some renovation going on, chatted with the administrator in the foyer who was busy reinstalling some yahrzeit plaques on the wall. He mentioned there had been a fire in 1999 which now I do remember.

In the "It's not old, we're just old" department: I remember the old sanctuary as stable and established. Been there forever, old-fashioned. I consult the history section of the B'nai Israel website (what did we do, etc). This location on Riverside Drive was only started in 1952 and dedicated in 1954. I started in Sunday School probably in 1958. That dang thing was NEW when I came on the scene. (shakes head, where IS the context?)

This view is from the large doors off the main foyer.

No comments: