Monday, August 13, 2007

Photoessay #87 - We MUST do better


In 2003, my father ran for the School Board in Rockford. He lost but he received 45% of the vote which is pretty good for a first time candidate. Though in his late 70s amd in uncertain health. he was considered the 'youth' candidate because of his even older and frailer opponent. Probably for the best as he was diagnosed with merkel cell carcinoma shortly before the election and would have not been able to effectively serve his term.

But bless his heart for giving it a shot while in comparatively good health. He had these sharp looking yard signs and even a billboard (I have a picture of it somewhere). Always interested in education and involved with some local mentoring initiatives, my father had his supporters in the community. I'm not sure what prompted him to run. He did enlist my sister's help (to her delight) in getting his billboard placed.

Typically, he didn't want me to take any of his campaign signs because they were 'his', thought I do have one. The now rusting and yellowing yard signs rest in the corner of my parent's garage in their 'cottage' in the retirement community.

At the very end of his life, my father worked hard on "Rockford Promise" a local program to guarantee college or vocational school tuition for at risk youth who graduate from high school. He and his neighbor worked hard on their 'pitch' to local groups to secure funding. So busy, during some of my last visits, this cause took priority for him over my immediate situation. That was ok as I was pleased that he was involved.

1 comment:

Oreo said...

He was in remission and had been diagoised years earlier. The weekend before the election I psst out some flyers at a local strip mall. I was surprised . . . . his campaign should have been everywhere that weekend pushing his name to anyone and everyone. But I am just the third child- baby - and only graduated in communications from the University Of Illinois. My opinion was not wanted or did I care to suggest anything because the rebuff I was sure to get.

Never the less it takes a brave sole to take on any election and I was very proud that he went for it.