Sunday, August 26, 2007

Photoessay #100 - Arden Park house


This blog takes the form of a memoir, the images and stories of my life, past and present and, who knows, maybe the future. I have another blog ginsburgh-pixs.blogspot.com strictly for old pictures in the context of the nuclear family of myself, my brother and sister.

But the past can give glimpses of understanding. This picture shows the house where my family lived from 1955-64 in the Arden Park or 'north area' of Sacramento. My home from the age of 3-12. Not sure of the date, likely closer to the end because the ivy has grown up the trellis above the front door. Maybe the fall as the leaves are off the mulberry trees in the front though the ashes along the street still seem to have leaves. I don't know what's in the center of the lawn there. My father built the the brick wall which makes the entryway more interesting, there were shade plants there. Don't know what gave him the idea but it's a nice treatment.

This house would be called a rambler up where I live now. No basement, no second story. They were built in the 50s throughout this development of curved streets with spanish names. Los Molinos Way.

I went by the house 12 years ago in 1995. We were surprised with how good everything looked and how much the foliage, the trees and shrubberies had grown. Many houses had added second stories. Definitely out of our price range. But then, a family with an Aerojet engineer with the wife who stayed home and kids could afford an Arden Park home. Many many similar families lived there.

In 1964, my parents moved across Fair Oaks Blvd to a more upscale home in the new Wilhaggin development. But this home looks quite nice here. My room was the bedroom in front with the shutters. Though I don't remember clearly, I shared it with my sister who was born in 1959.

No comments: