Saturday, June 9, 2007

Prose Exercise #8 - Me Me Me!


I've been pondering what I'm doing in this blog. I wrote a few weeks ago that my blog was about self-expression. Some blogs have political agendas, some are for kid's pictures, a lot are in foreign languages, some are about spiritual issues, some feature lots of sex pictures, some are a forum for an organizations like a church group.

The idea of readership is challenging. I would like others to read, I want an audience. But who? I'm writing about the people I see, the places I go, current events in my life, things of interest, family members. It's all wrapped around visuals, illustrations, pictures. Don't you think there are hidden messages, subtexts, in our snapshots?

I am grateful for my sister, who is my most faithful reader.

Really, it's a forum about me me me! As if anybody is interested? Because somebody is interested? A social anthropology exercise; what is life like for a 55 year old woman living in Seattle? How is it different than it was 30 years ago? Who knew what it was like 30 years ago? What was I like 30 years ago? Documenting thngs how I see them? Now? With my voice? If I keep writing, it will turn into something, but what?

This cartoon is from the New Yorker, April 23, 2007, pg 75. Artist, Roz Chast, I think. Used without permission.

But am I Adam? Is this blog about me, by me and for me? Actually it is. Is it valid? Or useful? Or worthwhile? It's worth a chuckle, to poke a little fun at myself.

No comments: