Friday, June 29, 2007

Photoessay #44 - View at White Rock


A clear sunny view of the Strait of Georgia in the summertime. In anticipation of my trip to Canada Cup and White Rock tomorrow, I'm posting the view from our Bed and Breakfast from last year. I enjoy the event and venue so much, last year I spent the entire week up there.

White Rock, a well kept secret from the Americans, a delightful beach community just north of the Canadian border, less than a two hour hour drive from my home in north Seattle. Long sandy beach with an accessible promenade filled with strolling local families, many picnicking on the beach. A long line of shops including many fish and chip and gelato places line the street across from the beach. The fish and chips resemble doughnuts, huge pieces of fish that have a very fluffy fried coating. Two years ago, my friend G and I split a triple fish and chips and it was more than ample.

Canada Cup, the international women's softball tournament is the main draw. The venue, Softball City, is right up the hill. JT coaches one of the US club teams that the tournament includes to round out the 14 team tournament. Takes a lot of guts put together one of the USA club teams. An honor, too. Not so easy to recruit high level collegiate players to play in this summer tournament. No living expenses paid. JT meets with the team for the first time this afternoon, they start play tomorrow. The pool includes Team USA (just the best team in the WORLD), Australia (always an olympic medal level team), Chinese Taipei, and Japan Elite (Japan's #2 team). As my mother says, just get out there and pray. It's competitive and fun, wonderful opportunity to participate in international level softball.

Looking forward to getting up to Surrey, see my Canada Cup buddies, maybe I will get their picture this time. I will be sure to see them.

No comments: