Thursday, June 28, 2007

Photoessay #42 - Our New Car


A month or so ago, my husband bought a New Car with some inheritance money. A Prius. We haven't had a new car in 25 years so it's a big deal for us. I encouraged my husband as he has spent of his adult life driving whatever 'worst car' we have and we've had some doozers. Including the $500 dollar Nissan we bought off the street. We never bothered taking it to a mechanic, he drove it for 5 months until it died and we had it towed away. I figured nobody died so it was a good deal. "I loved the sunroof" he observed even though it looked and sounded awful.

We had been driving a 20 year old Chrysler LeBaron 300 miles to Eugene for the softball trips. However, there were too many times when car parts spewed out the back stranding us on I-5. Not fun and it doesn't tend to get you to the game on time. However that car is extremely burgundy (very fashionable in 1987) and has more coRRRRINthian leather than you can stand. "Dress accordingly" suggests a family member of the previous owner (we bought it from some grandparents). Note: that would be pacman for my softball constituency.

I have identified a phenomenon I call the "Prius squeal". Especially when I show the New Car to other women.

"Look", I say, "it's really different starting it up"
I get in, insert the thingie (it's not a key) push a button, no ignition sound.
"Now I just glide off" and the car silently moves forward
"EEEEEEE!" is the usual response.

No comments: