Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Photoessay #25 - My backyard


This is the view from my home office, my backyard. This shot was taken last August, very very similar to the view now. But not quite. Not so many pots of flowers this year. My geranium hue for this year is a much deeper shade of pink. Look how well my strawberry pot (on the table) is doing! You can hardly see the pot with all of the cascading leaves and tendrils. It's coming back this year, maybe lost a few plants on the top. The ferns on the right which you really can't make out, are much bigger this year. There are now two big (at least four feet by three feet) volunteer ferns on the side of the deck. The 'grass' (a term loosely used to describe the green plants on the flat part) is greener now as it's earlier in the year. The apple tree is a little bit more overgrown with a huge crop of 'tart' apples. I made lots of applesauce last year.

I never water my backyard except the flower pots. No need. I only own one broken down sprinkler used very rarely. I love this about Seattle, the greenery. Always very important to me, want to live somewhere where it's green. I grew up in an arid area, not even realizing there were other landscapes. So I want green. In fact I'm will to accept damp and dark as long as I have green. Don't do sagebrush, don't even think about it.

Peaceful and quiet scene, maybe a little too peaceful and quiet. I'm glad to be home after 10 trips in 14 weeks. But really, interesting things happen when you go places. Not so much when you stay home.

No comments: