Friday, May 25, 2007

Photoessay #5 - She is SO going!


My daughter has just finished her collegiate softball career as a player at the University of Oregon. So, be warned, there will be softball pictures.

This picture was taken when she was a freshman at one of her first pre-season tournaments. It was taken by a mom of an Iowa State player who took it for me as a courtesy. When she sent it, she described being by home plate and looking towards third base through the camera at my DD and saying to herself "She was SO going". And she snapped the picture.

At the final awards banquet, the speaker said that there were few things that you could be sure of in this year's team. One was that Neenah would swing at the first pitch, the other was "Suzie was going".

Later in this tournament, she suffered an injury. She was sliding into home (again) and the catcher came down on her ankle. She missed seven games but then went on to start 212 consecutive games. Thankfully, she never had another injury that caused her to miss any games. As is typical, I learned about the nature of the injury through the school newspaper, that she had sprained her ankle. She would just say "I hurt my foot".

Like many softball pictures, her feet are off the ground. She is in flight. Always in motion. Soaring through the universe. I don't know how she does it but she's always flying. The look on her face says it all, Suzie is SO going.

Some mixed emotions as South Carolina is just starting their game against Northwestern. If Oregon had somehow held it together to win EITHER of those games last Sunday, it would be Oregon playing Northwestern instead.

But, I was so glad to not even have to consider another trip. I realized that I had made 10 trips since the beginning of February. No more! Too much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw the picture, and thought it looked familiar! My daughter finished her eligibility this year too. It went so fast! I do have a younger daughter who is playing DII so I will have more softball to follow for a few years.