Saturday, January 29, 2022

Old Ledger Books



 Or possibly a Dead Dinosaur?

Dennis and I went over to pick up a box from somebody's garage.  From Temple De Hirsch.  The Society said they had a place to store them.  When we got there, turns out she had some ledger books allegedly from Temple De Hirsch.  Would I take those?  I took them.  

The box, I went through it, it had a lot of copper art stuff.  But except for a few things, I couldn't see anything worthwhile.  Maybe left over from some classes.  I threw at least a third of it away.

Then there were these books.  From 1941-6.  There's nothing to label them from TDH.  This is what the outside looks like, this is what one of the pages looks like.  Receiving payments?  Petty cash.

I have no idea, can't make much sense of it.  But I don't think historical societies and archives don't take accounting or financial stuff.

So maybe they are Dead Dinosaurs.  Refers to early video games Dennis and I say in the 1970s.  Where you were doing good and then the monster comes and takes all your winnings.  And leaves you with a Dead Dinosaur.

Anybody have any ideas?

Update:  I do.  I am almost sure that these were Warshal's intake pawn records.  There's dates associated with them and small money amounts.  The names do not seem to belong to the 1940s Jewish community.  They way things like 'wedding ring', 'watch', 'toolbox' and 'Jap Rifle'.' Then I remember what Betsy told me that they were from Temple De Hirsch.  But she also told me that they came from Denny Warshal's garage.  His wife told him he had to get rid of them.  Denny was associated with a large sporting goods business.  But it started as a pawn shop.  Bob's your uncle.



No comments: