Saturday, January 25, 2020

Flushies


A flashback to the mid 2000s when I regularly went to Eugene watching Oregon softball (I won't lie, it was fun).  Before their current softball field "The Jane," they played at Howe Field which I maintained was the oldest field in D1 softball.  No bathrooms.  When I got there, they were using porta-potties.  Really?  The proud UO athletic department which prided itself on its over the top athletic facilities was having their own fans and fans from other major conferences using porta-potties?  Are you kidding me?  Howe Field was right next to ancient Mac Court (they've since replaced it with a huge fancy 100+ million dollar facility.)  OK, I believe that Mac Court was held up by the cockroaches, bit it had flushie bathrooms.  Right next to the softball field.  OK, maybe they had not been remodeled much since 1923 but they flushed.  I mounted a campaign to get the Mac Court bathrooms opened.  And won.  Here am I taking a picture of the Mac Court woman's bathroom, wearing Suzie's letter jacket among other layers for the Eugene spring rains.  I talked to all the fans as they surveyed the bathrooms with a bit of dismay.  "Go talk to the event people and thank them for the Mac Court bathrooms, they're clean and they flush."

The Jane is beautiful and has plenty of flushies.  But something is always lost with a new facility in the fan experience.  Actually Howe Field had a lot of negative fan experiences but you could do whatever what you wanted and nobody cared.  The Jane has actual event staff (imagine that) and rules.



No comments: