Wednesday, September 4, 2019

The ferry in the Sound


This picture of the Washington State Ferry is from a photoessay in The Atlantic by Alan Taylor.  Used with attribution but not permission.  He published a series of 34 photos of Washington State as a tribute to his parents.  I considered using one of the Palouse.  But though I appreciate its beauty, I'm not there very much.  But here's what I see fairly regularly.  Puget Sound, or maybe more accurately, The Sailish Sea.  With the ferry on its way.  With Kitsap or Whidbey Island in the near background and the Olympic Mountains in the far background.  With the light blued and the whole image a bit gray.  Everything kind of blurred into everything else.  I've seen this but I've never had a camera that would capture it.

I have the resident's view of the ferries.  Instead of seeing their charm and the excitement of the ride, I see it as an annoyance.  What will be the wait and will we get on?



No comments: