Monday, July 8, 2019

A smoking gun(let)


The illustration above, drawn by me, is from the 1970s.  I've been working with the Ginsburgh side of my family, trying to sort it out.  And, I really wanted to throw out a whole branch because they just didn't fit in.  My aunt had never heard of them. 

I did give in and do some DNA testing.  As a result, I've made some new connections which has been fun.  One, a 4th cousin Phil from Liverpool (not kidding) in some correspondence, challenged me, what evidence did I have that Isaac Ginsburgh was really the father of Jacob Lester?  Evidence is everything in genealogy; there's a ton of wrong stuff out there.  So I thought and thought.  I remember interviewing my grandfather Harold when I was in college.  I was his favorite.  He could be intimidating but he was a sucker for me.  I figure he would know the name of his own grandfather.  I had made some charts and some writeups, where was that stuff?  If I had marked Isaac as his father THEN, that would mean that I had gotten it from an interview directly with my grandfather because there was nothing else then. 

Miraculously, I found that old folder and here's my chart from the 1970s.  There you have it, I've marked Isaac as his grandfather.  But also there's Celia and Samuel and they were the ones I wanted to dump.  So I guess I will have to keep them.

A smoking gunlet





No comments: