Friday, May 4, 2018

Flashback - Ilana and the Washington State Archives 2011



I've run into a wall of my Sanctuary Place paper.  Don't know where to go with it.  It's a little unusual and I just don't know what kind of journal.  The requirements for submission are tough, so much demanded.  Problems with going it as a lone ranger.

My Fundraising Fair paper still stuck at Pacific Northwest Quarterly, they've had it for six months this time around.  Last I heard, they were looking for another referee.

In my genealogy meeting the other night, I found myself telling the Sleepy Sickness story, my unlikely resolution of a family secret regarding my mother in law.  I made a diagnosis of encephalitis induced parkinsonism based on the flimsiest of information.  Nobody in the family would talk about my mother in law's mother and why she ended up in a mental institution.

Finally, I went down to the Washington State Archives during the summer with Ilana to look at the records for the "Western Hospital for the Insane."  I was astounded to find her record with the cause of death


"Parkinson syndrome psychosis with epidemic encephalitis"

I was so stunned, I had nailed it!

I told the story, my genealogy group said "You should write it up!"  Well, I had, but whatever happened to it?  I had worked on it quite a bit but had I submitted it anywhere?  Nope, didn't.

So I dug it out, one of the members read it and made some editing suggestions.  I wrote it before I even took that genealogy class.  So I've returned to it...

No comments: