Saturday, February 24, 2018

Placard


So now I have one.  I've had various mobility problems; nothing that really stops me but I do have limitations.  I have had 'disabled' status at UW for five years.  It's been so handy.  I almost always take the bus.  But I can park in handicapped parking if I do drive.  Really helpful.  They also have a disability bus which I occasionally use.  Sometimes I just can't get there from here.  Usually having to cross 15th Ave where there's a big overhead pedestrian bridge.  Very heavily used.  Lotsa stairs.  I just didn't feel like I could do those stairs if I had my old lady roller bag.  I did take the disability bus between Suzallo Library and my class way out at Condon (the wilderness).  Mainly because of that darn bridge.  Because I was carrying my laptop when we were working on the Deep Dive project.

I was talking with a friend who sometimes uses a walker.  Her bus lets her off right by that pedestrian bridge.  She has a really hard time getting into the campus in that same spot.  Told her about the disability bus.

I have been so grateful because these accommodations allowed me to participate in the university. Without that help, I couldn't do it.  I got a taste of it when looking for a class and realized that it's on the second floor of Anderson Hall.  That building is not accessible (a whole other story).

But this generic placard is a whole new thing.  I think it will help; I won't have to walk so far.  But it's another door to go through.

No comments: