Tuesday, December 5, 2017

David, Martha and Lothar Baumann - we must remember


A picture of the Westerbork Transitcamp

Today I got some more information from the people at the organization joodsmonuument.nl about the fate of some of my relatives.  David Baumann was my grandfather's first cousin.

The information I got today was regarding their arrival and departure (not Lothar) at the Westerbork Transitcamp where the Jews and others being deported were brought.  The trip to the camps in Occupied Poland (Sobibor and Auschwitz) took 3 days.  Most were gassed on arrival. 

Not a pleasant three day trip, you can be sure.

Here is the latest narrative that I have:

Apparently they took Lothar first, in 10 July 1942; he went to Westerbork. I don't know when he left Westerbork, He died in Auschwitz 30 Sep 1942
Then they took David (who had lost his son) 10 Jun 1943 to Westerbork. He stays there 3 days. He is at Sobibor about a month before he died.
Then they took Martha (who has already lost her son and husband) 17 Nov 1943 to Westerbork. She doesn't leave until 25 Jan 1944. Since she dies 28 Jan 1944, we can assume she was gassed on arrival.
I am glad that Martha did not have to endure the January freezing weather in Auschwitz. Though she probably was plenty cold in Westerbork.

Here's a picture of Lothar Baumann , dead at 16.  We must never forget him!!

No comments: