Saturday, October 8, 2016

Layla and Majnun


Today I had a treat.  I read a newspaper review about the opening of the season at Meany Theater at UW.  A new production by Mark Morris Dance.  We never go to these things because it's so expensive and, well, we never go.  But I thought an Azerbajani inspired dance by Mark Morris (always have wanted to see his work) with the Silk Road Ensemble (famous, started by Yo Yo Ma.  Traditional singing.  How can you go wrong???  Plus there wasn't anything going.

World Premier last weekend in Berkeley, there's a matinee today.  I want to go!  Try to talk Dennis into it.  We could do this!  Nah, he doesn't go for it.  So I look at the review for awhile, yeah it's spendy $65 tickets.  I could go myself, I could do it.  I find a single seat online, I buy it.  I'm going anyway, I announce.

So I did and not disappointed.  Picture must have been from the premiere last week.  Wonderful music, engaging singing, lithe and expressive dancers.  So much to look at and hear, it was hard to know what to watch.  The traditional singers are in the middle front.  The ensemble in the center of the stage.  The dancer dance in front, on the site and in back.

Layla and Majnun, a traditional story in the vein of Romeo and Juliet but a thousand years older.  Famous father and daughter duo doing the traditional singing.  Colorful, engaging, so beautiful.  So glad I went.

No comments: