Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Whoop! 1905 Bazaar pictures!

I know this is a scan of a copy of a scan of a microfilmed old newspaper article.  But other than that, it's perfect.  I went down to UW to check an article about the design of the old sanctuary that I found in Rabbi Koch's scrapbook.  Unattributed.  My guess was Seattle P-I 2-4-1906.  Same day that the Seattle Times printed an article with a lousier picture.  The people in the newspaper microfilm dept were very helpful.  Yup, there it was, just where I expected it.

It occurred to me that maybe I could get the P-I's coverage of the bazaar put on by the Women's Auxilliary in Dec 1905.  An untold story of women's contribution.  The women put on a weeklong holiday bazaar in December and made, according to them 8-9K.  They made a huge deal about it, called in every gimmick they could think of.  The total cost of the finished building was 36K.    Since when can you have a bazaar and raise 1/4 of the price of a new building????  So I started looking at the P-I articles and I found these pictures.  Pictures of the bazaar!  The doll booth and the flower booth!  It makes it so much more real for me to see the pictures.  I'm so thrilled.  I haven't looked at all the days.  There was no index so I just had to look through the film.  On 2 different unfamiliar machines.

No comments: