Monday, December 14, 2015

Plaque honoring Bailey Gatzert


Remember that huge marble plaque honoring Bailey Gatzert from last week?  I've been carting it around in my car, where would you put it anyway?

I wrote my contacts at Temple and asked if they wanted it.  The failities manager replied that, of course, they would accept it.  Word around town is that "Temple doesn't want this old stuff."

So, no time like the present, this afternoon, the weather was good, the traffic light, I traveled down to Capitol Hill agreeing to meet the facilities manager who would bring a cart.

He met me, as arranged.

Then he asked the question that I should have been expecting:

"So, how did you come to be in possession of this?"

I brightly answered " (name deleted out of caution) gave it to me last week!"

He just shook his head as he lifted the pretty dang giant piece of marble onto the cart.  I think it's been in my contact's storage facility for, like a long time.

I added "I think there are other pieces like this all over town.  I keep hearing about them.  Do you want me to let you know if I run into any other things?"

"Yes," he answered, "Please do."  He said that they really didn't know what they were going to do with it.  I suggested they could mount it in the foyer with a picture of Mr. Gatzert (see above) Seattle's only (so far) Jewish mayor.

He looked like a man who had just had a big piece of 108 year old marble added to his 'to do' list.  But, really, he's been very helpful and cooperative,  I'm just adding some mayhem.

No comments: