Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Orchardist

This novel was rated by the local newspaper literary columnist of one of the best of the decade.  I agree.  A majestic work set in a central Washington orchard at the beginning of the 20 th century.  Deep deep characters, strong women characters, beautiful description and a plot which inexorably goes forward into our own futures.  As the book reached its climax, I had a feeling that somebody was going to die and that I hoped it wouldn't be too bad.  Actually, though there's some tragic action, nobody died.  Though the characters, some not wholly complete people had to face their own demons and go their own ways.

Highly recommend it.  I kept waiting for the main character's sister to show up.

I'm always glad when a book is good-hearted....

No comments: