Monday, March 23, 2015

Cotton States and Interntaional Exposition



1895 in Atlanta.

I'm back to the scrapbook again.  And I'm very pleased to say that I've made great progress today.  It's down to 1562 words; my editor said "1000 words but I'm flexible" so I'm on the right track.  It had to be re-ordered and re-focused.  Especially when you consider I started at 5300 words.  It's all making sense now.  Next step is to have Dennis look at it as I have really twisted and turned this WORD document.  Under the category 'felonious use of a spreadsheet.'

But looking through it, I picked out this postcard from the Cotton States and International Exposition held in 1895 in Atlanta.  Above it is a telegram to Mina Zunder from Maier stating "All well, stop at the Leland had fine trip"  Don't know what the Leland is.  But apparently Maier went on the trip and sent this postcard back to his wife.

Underneath it is a photograph of the midway at the Expoisition.  Apparently known for Booker Washington's Atlanta Compromise speech which I had never heard about before.  From Wikipedia.

The Atlanta Cotton States and International Exposition Speech was an address on the topic of race relations given by Booker T. Washington on September 18, 1895 at the exposition. The speech laid the foundation for the Atlanta compromise, an agreement between African-American leaders and Southern white leaders in which Southern blacks would work weekly and submit to white political rule, while Southern whites guaranteed that blacks would receive basic education and due process in law. The speech was presented before a predominantly white audience[9] and has been recognized as one of the most important, influential, and controversial speeches in American history.

No comments: