Sunday, February 8, 2015

Nuclear fear

I'm reading the "Age of Radiance" about nuclear issues.  It reminds me of how terrified I was, as a child, of nuclear war.  I really thought those bombs would fall any moment.  What would I do?  And the fallout, it was all about the nuclear fallout.  They talked about it all the time.  I don't really remember if we did 'duck and cover' drills at school.  I started kindergarten in Calkifornia in 1957.  I worried that we did not have a fallout shelter.  I remember the signs.  Talk was all around me.  How you could survive a nuclear attack.

Now, we don't frighten children about it.  Did the adults take into account how they frightened the children at the time?

But those bombs are still around, as far as I know.  Though this book emphasizes at the time that the world leaders just knew they couldn't use them.  But things have become sloppy and worn out.

I might write about it.

A picture from a civil defense booklet from Latvia.

No comments: