Friday, September 12, 2014

Harold on the staircase


I found this picture in a possessed pile of stuff; the kind of thing that gathers in a guest room which, though well populated over the summer, I had not looked at for awhile.  Right next to the bookcase holding the 60 photograph albums I have inherited from both sides of my family that I don't know what to do with.  I'm sure these items appear spontaneously.

No label on the back.

Clearly my paternal grandfather, Harold Joseph Ginsburgh going down a staircase.  Somewhere. It's so hard to date as his hairline receded early and he ALWAYS wore the same thing.  Suit and tie.  He looks youngish here, maybe in his 30s or 40s?  Usually if it's my grandfather and he's somewhere, it's Harvard, the dominant institution in his life.  He was a Harvard man (Class of 1920) more than anything else.  A Fine Arts building, nothing seems to match.  A portrait on the wall, book  shelf at the top of the landing.  Can't make out what's through the double door on the right.  Interesting light fixtures.

He's got a thoughtful look on his face.  Don't know why or how this photo came to exist.  But it's an black and white 8x10 print.  It's possible my aunt might know, I'll ask her.

No comments: