Friday, August 29, 2014

Mothball Fleet

I'm discovering some really interesting aerial views of California; some sites that I've weaved into my own past.

I remember this sight as my family took our infrequent trips to San Francisco and the Bay Area from Sacramento in the late 1950s.  We went across the bridge near Martinez on the highway and we could on Suisun Bay rows and rows of ships.  Warships.  That's the mothball fleet, I was told, ships that we don't need any more.

I think the view of them all lined up attracted me.  I didn't know a thing about them but they were always there.  Deserted.  Ghost ships?  Maybe haunted?

Looking things up on the internet, I think that maybe the mothball fleet has been dispersed.  There might still be some.

I'm posting a picture from around 1950, and then more current and a closeup (credit Juna Pablo Jimenez on Panoramio)

No comments: