Friday, July 25, 2014

The time has come

To write my Changes book.  I've thought about it and since I have some time along with the empty nest.  Plus on the program committee.

And in a writing group who can work with me (as I would work with them and do).

Like the yellow book that the Canadian therapist has written.

Time to write down this tribal knowledge in an organized way.

Not sure of the audience, I'll have to work with the program committee and the Board.

Looking around on the internet, there's so much there I disagree with.  I know that I've been radicalized working with parent group.

But how about this reply from Dr. Laura about dealing with a verbally and physically abusive son (not sure how old) who has been diagnosed with ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) and bipolar.  This is excerpted from her reply

. You don't say how old your son is, but he is clearly suffering. I realize he's been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but his abusive behavior is indicative of deep wounds beyond bipolar disorder. 

The other part of my emails that I hope you'll put to use is my focus on connection and on emotional intelligence skills. Your son is so difficult partly because he is in pain and feels disconnected. If he can reconnect with you by having you tolerate and "hold" the fear, pain, and sadness under his anger without exploding back at him, I think you'll find that a lot of his anger will melt away. 
Yikes.  The parent should hold onto and enable conitnued abuse hoping that his anger will 'melt away'.

If there was any other reason to write this book.....

Snoopy in honor of my mother.

No comments: