Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Photoessay #2900 - Community Seder

Last night, Dennis, Naomi and I attended a community seder at Kol Haneshemah, a local progressive congregation that welcomes LGBT families and everybody else.  Not so local, which probably keeps us from joining as it's based in West Seattle.  In rush hour traffic, it took us nearly an hour to get there.  The event itself was held in a large room at a local Unitarian church.  They expected 130 people with 47 non-members.  They might have been one of the few local congregation that braved a community seder, I think this was their second one.  They used a caterer this time but it's a huge amount of work to put on a seder like this.

We enjoyed ourselves.  Everybody was supposed to bring some wine or grape juice and bring a pesach dessert.  Naomi made a traditional apple cake with matza cake meal.  Had it's usual bland gritty taste.  The recipe on the back of the cake meal package.  I didn't really see any other of these cakes.  We did try to jazz it up with some cream cheese frosting.  But at the end of the inning, it was all gone.  I think some adults like that it was there.

All seders are different, this one used their own shortened haggadah run by the rabbi with an emphasis on contemporary slavery.  The silly songs (sung to the tune of "Take me out to the ball game")  I would have liked some more dayenu.  I was satisfied.

The meal was vegetable oriented which I appreciated.  I liked it.  Some cold salmon, a delicious acorn squash/spinach dish.  It worked for me.

No comments: