Thursday, April 10, 2014

Photoessay #2894 - Kaplan Printing

I went to Special Collections looking at the Jewish Collection Archive looking for something to speak to me.  I don't have family and, well, not so strong connection with the Jewish community.

I didn't have to wait long.  Noodling around the Finding Guide, I ran into Jacob Kaplan.  Father of Leon Kaplan.  I've written about Leon Kaplan before.  When we first came to Seattle in 1979, Dennis worked for Leon Kaplan at Kaplan Paper.  He was very good to us.  They invited us to dinner, got us tickets for High Holidays.  I liked them a lot.  We got busy, four kids, different jobs.  Didn't keep in touch.  Leon passed away in 2009. 

But there's a whole bunch of information about Jacob Kaplan who established the businesses.  I don't think the teacher thinks much of the idea.  He only reluctantly let me into the class..  Definitely a situation of being second class and keeping your mouth shut.  It varies; it varies.

Picture of workers at Kaplan Printing Co.  Undated.  From UW Special collections.

No comments: