Saturday, April 2, 2011

Photoessay #1250 - Billy Elliot


I had the opportunity to go see the musical Billy Elliot last night with some friends. I don't think I've ever been to the Paramount Theatre nor to a full dress musical. The show really centers on the British Coalminers union in the 1980s but overshadowed by one of the young sons who would rather dance than box. He's so talented, has a mentor, overcomes difficulties, proves his family wrong, gets into the big time, etc. All those arcs of the story I learn about in my class.

The lead Billy, a boy of 11 or 12 is usually performed by several young actors (though only one in any one performance) probably it's so taxing. Lex Ishimoto was 'our' Billy and I thought he was terrific.

Lots and lots of razlle-dazzle and a ton of big dance numbers and excellent choreography. Catchy music and a great cast. Fun, if a little long.

A bit hard for me to understand the important back story about the miners but, of course, everybody was rooting for the sweet Billy.

Picture of one of the dance numbers that I found on the net with another Billy.

No comments: