Friday, February 25, 2011

Photoessay #1217 - Rural Tennessee


View Larger Map

I'm working on our trip next month. We've got the Hampton VA part nailed. We're visiting our high school friends Matt and Sue. They live real close to Jamestown/Yorktown/Williamsburg so I figure we will tour historical stuff and sit around and talk a lot. We'll stay in a local hotel.

And the Ann Arbor part will work. Ilana will have to work a lot of the time but I think we can hang out and get a taste of the I School. Staying at a regional largish hotel place about a mile and a half from Ilana's house. We'll drive the Buick.

The Tennessee rural part sits in the middle. I did talk to Victoria, she was sick with the flu and said she wasn't working. We're investing 24 hours. I'm thinking of taking a rural approach. We really wanted to see Deer Lodge, the little town near where they live. Victoria originally was talking meeting in Knoxville. I would like to go to Oak Ridge. In 1953, when I was a baby, my father went to 'Reactor School' at Oak Rdige National Laboriatory. Don't know where they lived. So I would like to go to Oak Ridge which is on the way to Deer Lodge. They don't seem to have public tours outside of the summer months. But I have emailed and left a phone message for the guy in charge of tours. I'm also thinking of a rural B&B. Victoria's house is well outside of the tiny town really out in the, um, rural area. The link into google maps at the top of this is the turn off of Gatewood Ford Road onto her street. Don't know which fork. Not quite there yet.

Do you have a family member or friend that lives in the middle of nowhere?

1 comment:

Emily Johnson said...

I ran into the rural problem when I went to visit my Great Aunt in rural Nebraska (population 236), so we had to drive an hour and half to a bigger city (population 1050) to find a motel (Norman Bates -esque)