Thursday, July 8, 2010

Photoessay #1093 - Yay


Yay, the Cambodian word for grandmother. My granddaughter Melina, now 9 years old, lives with her mother and grandparents. Her maternal grandmother, who has provided much care for her is Yay, but I also am Yay, something I much appreciate.

So now I get it. For right now, with summer, and me not working and my own children busy with their own lives. Initially, I didn't quite knew what I would do. But I felt that things would develop and show themselves.

But now I see. This summer, I'm going to spend as much time as I can with my granddaughter. Turns out that she's a very enthusiastic letterboxer. She's all set up and she likes it a lot. Today, on likely the hottest day of the summer (things completely fall apart in Seattle if either it sows or the temp reaches 85 degrees), we were out there;we went letterboxing at Farrel McWhirter Park and also found a box in a toy store. I love Farrel Mcwhirter, we used to take here there a lot when she was quite young. Lots of farm animals, always somebody new.

All this time, I insisted that we see Melina but she wasn't incorporated into our family activities. A quiet child, she never overtly resisted and always complied but we never got much of a relationship going. Usually Naomi would come and she could really bring Melina out. Plus it was a whole day affair as we have to go to Redmiod to get her and bring her back (30-45 minutes if no traffic),

But as illustrated by a conversation with Susanna...
Susanna: Why do we keep doing this? She hardly says anything
Me: Well do you want to give up on Melina?
Susanna: NO!!!
Me: So are you coming with us to the zoo (or whatever)
Susanna: well, ok.

But I, as a grandmother, didn't have a close relationship.

So seize the day! Melina and I have a lot to do this summer and we are doing it. Yay has a lots of time. Melina wants to come over and get that duet going on the piano. She wants to go to the dog park. She likely would help me maintain my letterboxes that have gone AWOL.

Plus there's a bunch of boxes in Redmond (thanks Roots and Shoots), we've already found 16 in the last week or so and there's bunches more. Letterboxing provides just the right flavor of adventure. A treasure hunt, mutual discovery, a little confusion, a little outlaw, some surprise. Plus you go crazy places.

Who knew that "Where the Wild Things Are" stamp would be so huge! We were both AMAZED..... Already we are saying things like "Remember when we found that letterbox hidden behind that log over there?" as we drive rather aimlessly usually lost in Redmond.

Plus we figured out where the Baskin Robbins was in Redmond this hot afternoon.

So I'm in. I hope that she wants to continue with this. Because you've got to grab the opportunity.

Image used without permission from Craftworks, an organization who works with disabled folks in BC.

No comments: