Friday, July 16, 2010

Graveside

This morning at 11am, the local rabbi (don't remember his name) conducted a short graveside service for my parents at Mishkan Israel Cemetery. All were family members except their friends, the Goldbergs. Many of their contemporaries are of advanced age themselves and the day was broiling hot. I have some pictures but I'm pretty tired tonight.

The rabbi did a short opening reading, the 23rd psalm, the familiar piece from Eccliastes (a time for this, a time for that). A few remarks and then opened it up for comments. Then Kaddush at the end.

I had first comments; really it was Naomi and I. My mother and grandmother had knit those baby booties, excellent pattern and they DON'T come off. Every baby born that any of us knew about should get a pair of these booties. My mom's last wish was that Naomi should get the bootie pattern. And Naomi's learned to make them.

She didn't really figure it out until she came home from Pullman and could consult with the yarn shop people. And you can't knit much at girl scout camp. But she made six or seven pair, the last pair finished on the way to the cemetery. I gave away all of the booties to family members to give to babies. Not made by Regina; not made by Claire but made by Naomi. The tradition carrying on. I gave them to Mary Ann, my brother, my sister, my cousin's wife, my cousin's daughter my other cousin's daughter. My sister, brother, cousin, and aunt also spoke. A portable set of 4 chairs sat by the grave. I realized that family should sit there. So my aunt, my sister, my brother and I sat. With Dennis, Danny and Naomi standing behind me.

All of us shoveled a little dirt into the hole. Just two boxes down there. The markers were ready but will not be put down for awhile.

No comments: