Saturday, June 12, 2010

Photoessay #1069 - Constant Companion


Dennis accuses me of making all dogs codependent on me. Shadow followed me around. Teddy follows me around. He always wants to know where I am and if I'm in a place where he can't be (like the bathroom), he waits by the door until I come out. Not really guarding, but stationed. If I'm in the front yard, he's at his perch by the window or on the couch (but dogs are NOT supposed to be on the couch) watching me and often whining. (Ilana suggests that Teddy says "Ya know SOMEBODY'S got to watch for mom!)

So I guess .... don't get a dog if you don't want him following you around. Not all dogs do this but mine do.

I've been making small attempts at some extinguishment of the ball attention at the dog park. But futile, others enable. Teddy has his ball which he fetches endlessly. He defers if another dog wants to go chase it but will then fetch it when that dog comes back without the ball or drops the ball. Most really aren't interested in his ball. Teddy trots over and picks it up, HIS ball, the one that smells right. Substitute balls only accepted under duress. But my dog park mates enable Teddy. They make sure that their dog drops Teddy's ball and then hand it back or throw it for him.

So why not insist on fetching your own ball the whole glorious time?

Teddy in the backyard a few days ago. Age 1 1/2 years. He's slimmed down quite a bit. Looks more like the whippet side.

Interesting, yesterday's post was most demanding and I spent quite awhile on it. And it had the lowest readership measure....

No comments: