Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Photoessay #1065 - Newport Beach 1990


Today, I just needed to look back, don't know why.

A while back, I mentioned my parents 40th anniversary celebration in Newport Beach CA. My mom had ALWAYS wanted to be in one of those houses right on the beach. And she managed to score one for a one week rental.

I still haven't found my album of pictures though I know it's here SOMEWHERE. But (alas or fortunately, you pick) I have my parents' photo albums.

On that trip (March 1990, over 20 years ago), Naomi was 3 months, Ilana 4, Susanna 6, Danny 8. Or similar. I think that Danny was keeping a journal for his second or third grade class.

I've always liked these shots of Danny and Susanna on the beach in front of the house. All about action, movement, kinetics so Susanna LOVES it. The Pacific ocean in southern California, you have to love it in some way. Earlier, when my mom had moved to SoCal in the 70s, she announced, "I'm going to find the beach, I know it's here SOMEWHERE". Her Orange County neighbors were not so interested.

After I scanned the prints, I realized why I had to reach back. Happy Birthday Danny, 28 years old today! I already talked to him; we'll plan a dinner this weekend. I heard that Ilana wrote on his facebook page "Happy birthday, I'm sure there's a noodle house dinner in your future!" Because we ALWAYS go to that little dumpling house in Greenwood. And, yup, that's where he wanted to go. Last time we went, Matt said he had never been there. What? This is your first time, where were you for all those family dinners at the noodle house?

Dennis remembered one experience from that 1990 trip. One night we had a rather formal dinner at Rossmoor Leisure World where my grandparents live. Remember Naomi 3 months old. She had a cute fancy outfit. And a backup because ya' never know. Sure enough, during the dinner, we had a poopy wardrobe malfunction. Dennis, trouper that he is, took the poopy baby in the messed up fancy pink outfit and the diaper bag and retired to the men's room to sort it all out. He recalled that several older gentlemen came into the restroom, realized what Dennis was doing and they took off RIGHT NOW. Horrified. No way, were they going to be involved in this. They could not get away fast enough. I think he put the dress on backwards but other than that, it was a great job. Men think everything buttons up the front.

So some nice time at the beach for some children. Happy Birthday Danny!

No comments: