Saturday, October 4, 2008

Photoessay #472 - Changes


Dennis and I are attending the annual fund-raising auction for the parent group that I am so involved with. Last year, it was more of a 'party' held at one of those huge Capitol Hill mansions which belonged to the father of one of the members. Really old school tudor with tons of dark wood, beveled glass and 'old world charm'. Fun! Had a small auction and live music which included some group members. Made 6K, great event.

This year, it's more of a conventional event, sit down dinner at a community center with silent and live auction. Adam Myers who works in the King County ARY court will be honoree. Appropriate.

Dennis had been whining that he didn't want to go. I always say that everybody thinks that I'm a single parent and he should go. A picture (his suggestion) will not suffice. I bought tickets for both of us. I'm now involved in a car pool with 2 other women, I even offered to let him off the hook. Surprisingly he still wants to go.

Then the volunteer list came out, uh oh. Oh, I probably signed up for all of these things, I've been a complete slacker in the planning and procurement. Figured I would work during the event. Sounds like I'm signed up for the duration.

I'll post the results...last year I bought the Mexican dinner put on by Norma C. and the board. I knew it would be good, it was! I think I put some pictures up on this blog. John O. is again offering his Mexican dinner, I was a guest at that one a few years ago. Whew! We have some good cooks in this crowd.

Mostly I see my role as keeping the successful Seattle group together, serve on teams. I'm currently six month coordinator which means I arrange all of the weekly programs for the Seattle group.

Reminds me that I wanted to keep a record of our programs. How about now?

2 July "Yardsticks and Measurement" Sandy B
9 July "What the Changes Board does: Freda C
16 July "Important lessons" David C
23 July "No advice, criticism or explanations" Rodney C
30 July "Process of Change" Curtis F
6 August "Changes 101, Serving on a Team" Curtis F
13 August "Our story" Don and Meryl T
20 August Bob Lovelace guest speaker
27 August "Setting boundaries" Anne M
3 Sept "Coming to grief" Rodney C
10 Sept "Our story" Mark and Teru L
17 Sept "Giving and Getting support calls" Joy S
24 Sept "Violence in moveouts" Sandy B
1 Oct "Our story" Roger and Geri L

planned programs

8 Oct "Changes 101 tbd" Curtis F
15 Oct "My story" Pam R
22 Oct "Changes 101 tbd" Sandy B
29 Oct "One liners" Lisa S

In November my ever popular "Gift-giving" program which always ends up getting more than a few people really upset. Changes 101 is a rotating group ofcore programs developed by Mark L, Bill H and myself some years ago.

The program is a 25 minute presentation in the middle of the Wednesday night meeting. We have a variety of people volunteer to give programs. This particular group participates freely. Sometimes you just have a topic and the discussion starts up.

Maybe I will present the Changes 101 topics in a future post.

This is an ancient logo but all I could find to steal.

No comments: