Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Photoessay #169 - Juvenile Court


I went down to Juvenile Court to support another family in the group. Often parents of adolescents under the age of 18 have to appear in court or some other stressful situation. In Parent Group, we always try to provide somebody to go with them, to support them. It's not hard, all you have to do is show up, it's a great giving-back activity for new people and you always always learn something when you go. Your job is really just to be there and 'keep it light'. Often it really helps the dynamic to have somebody else there, to chat with (for the parent or the child), keeps the verbal abuse and tense moments down. Also helps to have an extra ear to listen to what's going on.

The family that I was going to support had a real tough time last time around and I drove downtown for their hearing. Except I got the time wrong, I was there at 1:30pm. Nobody around, where are they? You don't suppose? I check with the desk, the hearing was at 8:30 am.

Dang. Senior moment. Wasted trip. Still don't know the outcome of hearing but the parent was asking for an ARY dismissal and I'm assuming that's what happened.

No comments: