Sunday, August 19, 2007

Photoessay #93 - Corner Cupboard


The corner cupboard, the most prized piece of furniture from Jim and Lanaya, now in our living room. I think it belonged to Jim's parents and came to us after Jim's death. I don't remember the age or period but it's definitely antique grade. I haven't filled it too much. The restored Lincoln letter is on the second shelf at the back protected from the light but still on display. I let my daughters pick what sent in here, one shelf full of green glass, the blue bowl with seashells, the tiffany cup, my silver candy dishes with Russian pins from the 1990 Goodwill games, my little turtles. My other china cabinet has all of the blue dishes and is jammed with items. During the estate sale, I got rid of a lot of ceramic and china items. How many teacups do you really need? I had dozens!

One year Naomi had a tea party and I realized the we could smash all the tea cups after the party and still be able to supply consecutive tea parties for weeks.

A few times, I have tried to dispose of the teaset with the gold wheat motif on the top shelf but my daughters object.

Interesting photo because you can see my image taking the picture and other reflected items from around the room. Dennis' family had an inflated view of the value of this piece but it's still a pretty piece of furniture.

1 comment:

Oreo said...

Nice furntiure! Great place to put Lincoln Letter. Glad to know you have a place to put prized items . . . where kids and paws have a difficult way to get in. Although you don't have too may "kids" anymore!