Thursday, August 16, 2007

Photoessay #90 - Nanny and Poppy



My grandparents circa 1950 in Connecticut with my cousin M. Must have been winter with heavy coats all around and a bit of snow on the ground. This picture has the status of an icon with me; remembered from my earliest childhood. My mother would point to this picture and say "This is Nanny and Poppy" They lived in the East very far away from us in California. It's imprinted on my mind in a very fundamental way.

When my grandparents came to visit, my mother declared "This is Nanny and Poppy" My very young self ran to the piano and got the picture down. "No! No!" I cried pointing to the picture "THIS is Nanny and Poppy"

I am struck here how young my grandmother looks here and what a tough life she had. Born into genteel wealth, the family lost their money in the crash and the depression and they never recovered financially.

No comments: