Monday, July 30, 2007

Photoessay #74 - Church wedding


A small church wedding. The church itself is very large, the wedding was small in the number of invited guests (about 40). The guests sat in just a few rows of pews at the front of the large sanctuary but the room still seemed full and complete to me.

Everyone is in place in this traditional protestant wedding. In this picture, the minister is obscured by the bride and groom exchanging rings and saying their vows. The best man is hidden from view by the groomsman. My daughter was poking me in the ribs when I took this picture "Momm!!! Stop!!" But I'm glad I took it. To capture the moment.

A mature bride and groom. The bride's sons are the best man and usher. The groom's daughters are the bridesmaids in cornflower blue. The bride's sister is the maid of honor holding the bouquets. Everybody in place for a lovely family wedding.

It had been a long time since I had seen the ritual ushering. The groomsmen stationed at the entrance to the main church room (what would be the word, I would use 'sanctuary' but may that's too Jewish) The dominant (eldest, the mom?) woman takes the proffered arm of the usher and walks down the main aisle with him. The rest of the family including the husband or male partner trails on behind. As soon as I saw them standing there, I knew how the gig went and I knew that I would be the one to take K's arm. So I did.

The groomsman and his friend sang a dramatic duet, who knows what song but J can really belt out the music with his strong tenor voice. The bride was dabbing her eyes. Everybody including myself very pleased. Tons of musical talent in that family now as the bridesmaids accompanied the singers and played beautiful piano duets during the reception.

Have to put in a word about the cake, dark chocolate with chocolate filling and a light vanilla frosting. DeLICIOUS, I had two pieces. As I mentioned, Naomi caught the bouquet.

Mazeltov to my neighbors, the newlyweds!

No comments: