Friday, June 22, 2007

Photoessay #35 - Launching point


This is the view from my kitchen down the stairs into the front yard. Don't you feel swooped down the stairs and propelled into the world? Hold on, we are compelled to leave our own homes to confront the world.

My old dog Shadow is in her regular position peering out the door. When she was younger, she would bolt out the door and enjoy the family running around trying to catch her. Now she just looks down the stairs to see who might be coming. She will be sure to alert me if she sees anything. However if somebody actually comes in, she will hide behind me. She thinks that I'm there to protect her, not the other way around.

The handrails visible through the front door lead down the front walk and to the right down a few stairs towards the driveway Built by our contractor James a winters ago, they were designed for Dennis' dad (and other older adults) who were having trouble getting up our stairs. The strong wood and composite material are anchored securely by cement; they will probably outlast the house. Starbaby (a kitten at the time) left her paw prints in the cement (that kitty is always supervising), James was so amused, he left the the little kitty prints there for posterity. Dennis' dad, Jim, passed away a year ago February so he no longer comes for Sunday dinner as he did for so many years.

This picture is at least a year old as we still had our old couch with that annoying slip cover that was never right. Dennis and I had never purchased a piece of new furniture, everything we was owned by somebody else first. We both hate to shop. Long story but last fall, I INSISTED that we had to purchase a new mattress RIGHT NOW. We were in Penneys and saw the couch and bought it on the spot.

The leaves are on the trees so it must be summer. Note that the light is muted, so different here than California. Lee, last night, said that the light here is more blue, she's an artist and I believe that she can perceive this difference.

2 comments:

Oreo said...

I agree the light could be seen more blue in your world. I think light is more yellow here in Indiana. California (southern) is grey except on the beach end of the world. And the beach is crisp - if I can pick a unigue color.

azure said...

I think of California light as brilliant and unrelenting. Probably more yellow, not sure. Southern Cal may be gray just because my perception is that it's so dreary.

Don't really know if there's particular difference between southern and northern california as far as the light. But I've definitely spent more time in 'northern'

My memories of childhood light in Sacramento was that it was bright and harsh